Thursday, February 18, 2010

Work can also be play

I thought that spending an extended length of time with one person and writing down every detail would become exhausting and a little boring after about the first 30 minutes. But after writing my day-in-the-life story, I was pleasantly surprised. This was probably my favorite story up to this point.

The best part was the actual reporting. I went on a police ride-along with a University of Northern Colorado police officer for several hours during a night shift. The night was full of action, and the time passed very quickly. Because I am also majoring in criminal justice, I loved getting an inside look at police work.

After I finished the reporting, I wrote a story that included creative writing rather than just hard facts. The words seemed to just flow; I had so much information. It was sometimes difficult to capture the exact feeling I wanted to portray in each individual scene, but writing descriptively was a great change of pace. The details really make these types of stories. Hours and hours of reporting is a lot of work, but it is very beneficial in the end.

I learned a lot during the process of writing this story, but one thing sticks out above the rest. Just because it’s work doesn’t mean it can’t be fun.

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading about your adventures with the police ride-along. Please write more as you have time.

    ReplyDelete